Teaching an English Class?

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

TABACO | DAY 13 to 14 |

JANUARY 14, 2014:
We had a good companionship study today. We recognize that we had a small teaching pool right now that's why we studied "How Do I Find People to Teach". I learned that we should have faith in finding, we should talk to all the people we meet and the companionship of the Holy Ghost will really help us too. One of my weaknesses right now is being not able to talk to the people that I just met. It's really hard for me to overcome this shyness. When I read D&C 60:2-3 I realized that I should overcome this weakness because Heavenly Father through our living prophet gave me the authority to preach and share the gospel to all the people in wherever area I'll be assigned to. The gospel of Jesus Christ is really an important matter to bless all the people and to guide them in this world.

In the afternoon we went back to the Manamtam Family but we received unfortunate news. They said that we can't teach them anymore because their son is against it. We are really sad about it and this is the first time that I felt this kind of sadness in the mission field. 😔 I can see in their eyes that they want to continue to hear the gospel but it will create bad conflict for their son and we understand that. Maybe it is not their time right now and I hope that it will someday. Before we leave we offered them a prayer and they gladly said yes. Elder Nielsen leads the prayer for them, especially for Bro. Manamtam because he has an illness. They are really glad that we prayed for them and we can see that they have teary eyes. They said that we can still visit them as their friends. We will.

B.N.H.S.


JANUARY 15, 2014:
Elder Nielsen had an idea that we should try. We'll help other people by teaching English as a second language. He saw it in the Finding Ideas. He asked for my opinion and I told him that's a unique way of helping others. Here in the Philippines if you are fluent in speaking English it will really help your career in most of the high-end salary jobs. English is a global language and it will be an advantage to anyone. I think it is a good idea even if I'm not that fluent in speaking English. Elder Nielsen will take the lead and I have full confidence in him because he is an American. 😂 We decided to go to a national high school in Bantayan. When we met the principal of the school we offered our help for a free special English class for those students who are interested to learn it fluently. The principal was really happy to hear it and she is amazed by our free service offering. Even if she wants it, it will not be that easy because we should ask for permission first and send a letter to the supervisor of the school. She thanks us for our offer.

On our way back to Tabaco City we rode on a tricycle and eventually, there's a college student who boarded inside the tricycle. We felt awkward because there's only a small space inside the tricycle and we can't go to the top as we usually do because it is raining. Along the way, I took the courage to speak to her. I introduced myself as a missionary and I told her we are sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to every people that we meet because we know that it will bless and help them in their lives. I gave her a pass-along card (introduction of our message) and asked if we can visit her and her family. She said yes! 😃 She gave me their address and number so that we can know when we will visit them. Her name is Sis. Erica. When we arrived in Tabaco City, Elder Nielsen was shocked that I finally took the courage to talk to other people who we didn't know and he is so happy for me. Haha. He looked like a proud father. 😅

In the evening we went to Bro. Caloy and we re-taught him the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He is happy to be taught again by the missionaries and we will continue to re-teach him the gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope it will help him to come to church again. When we came back to the apartment, Elder Gunnel cooked carbonara for our dinner. It's delicious. He's in the apartment because of exchanges with E.Yu.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Notable moments of January 14 to 15:
  • A sad farewell to Manamtam Family.
  • Offered to teach free special English in a school.
  • We met Sis. Erica (a potential investigator).
  • We re-taught Bro. Caloy. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments